The new year calls for new and exciting ways to lose weight and keep it off. I know we are ready to start the year right. Let’s give this a try:
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 3 cups French bread
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 anchovy filets
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks for large eggs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (shredded or shaved)
- Trim bruised or browned leaves of Romaine lettuce and then cut it into 1 ½ inch pieces. Wash, drain, pat it dry. Refrigerate it for 30 minutes to crisp the leaves.
- For croutons, cut bread into cubes. In a sauté pan, heat ½ cup of olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry bread cubes in the oil and toss it frequently till they’re crisp and golden. Drain croutons on a paper towel till ready to use.
- Peel the cloves of garlic then put it in a large wooden salad bowl. Mash cloves with the back of a wooden spoon against the sides of the bowl. Rub pieces against the bowl till they begin to disintegrate. Remove most of the mashed garlic from the bowl and discard. Add anchovies and repeat the procedure leaving the pieces of anchovy in the bowl. Then by adding the dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, lemon juice and egg yolks, blend well. Drizzle slowly in the remaining olive oil mixing with a wire whisk till a creamy mayonnaise type dressing forms. Add lettuce, Parmesan cheese, croutons and salt. Toss all together and serve it directly from the salad bowl.